For 2006, I decided to make a knock-off of PumpkinRot's famous scarecrow. This is what I ended up with.
I didn't take many pictures of the process because I didn't intend to do a how-to on it, but I was asked by several people if I had some instructions.... so.... here it is!


 

 

 

 

I started with a plastic cauldron and covered it just over halfway with aluminum foil. I taped the foil to the cauldron with masking tape. Then I used watered down wood glue and my *oh-so-handy* yellow pages to paper mache over the foil.

 
The beginning

 

I think I put like 6 layers of paper/glue over the top half. When that was all dry, I used some heavy duty snips to cut it off. I taped it together where I had to cut it to get it off, then papered over that a couple of times.
Then I started on making the other half of the pumpkin using the same technique. I used some "slave labor" for this part.

 
GOTTA love slave labor!!

 
When the second half was dry, I cut it off, taped it up, taped it to the other half and papered over it a couple of times. I drew the face I wanted on the pumpkin with a marker, and then cut it out with some snips. I made sure to cut a hole in the bottom of the pumpkin so I could access the inside of it. I papered a couple of layers INSIDE the pumpkin as well.

I took a 2 foot length of 14 gauge wire and poked one end of the wire through the top of the pumpkin and bent it around a couple of times so it wouldn't come out. Then I twisted some newspaper around it to make the stem. I used some wood glue and smeared it on and into the twists of the stem to keep it in place. After the glue was dry, I coated the entire pumpkin with a couple of coats of liquid latex.

I used some paper towels to make the wrinkles and texture. I just painted the latex onto the paper towels with a brush on an old plate, and then draped the paper towel over the pumpkin and kind of wrinkled and squished it around until I got it how I wanted it. I used half sized sheets of paper towels, one ply.

When I was satisfied with the look, I coated the whole thing with another 2 layers of latex, inside and out. Then I used some black exterior house paint (love those Oooops specials!) and gave the inside two coats of paint, and the outside one coat.
Not done yet!
I used a cup of latex and some acrylic craft paints to get the orange color and painted it with 2 thin layers. The black paint still showed through, which looked pretty cool. Then I took some brown paint and painted the stem. I used some olive-greenish paint to dry brush on the stem, then dry brushed some black a little on the stem.
I dry brushed some dark brown all over the pumpkin to give it some texture and some of that good ol' rotten look. And that's it! All done 'til he gets a body.

Boo!
EEK!
 

 
 

All information contained on this website www.howloweenqueen.com is provided for FREE, is intended for entertainment purposes and general sharing, and may not be reproduced without express permission from the website owner. If you have been sold information regarding or taken from this website, please contact the admin at the link in the navigation menu. Copyright 1999-2008, The Dead End.

free hit counters
free hit counters